Resources: Articles, Books, Research Papers, Images, Audio and Video….
There are many research papers as well as books, videos and podcasts which deal with the Turkish struggle to defend their country against Western imperialism and the role of Indians, both Muslims and Hindus, in supporting their cause.
Apart from mobilizing the general public in large gatherings where the difficulties being faced by the Turks in the face of Western imperialism was highlighted, Indian leaders, including Gandhi, raised funds for the Turkish troops, as well as sent a medical mission to cure the injured soldiers in the 1st Balkan war.
Also notable was the Indian delegation that went to the UK and other European capitals to speak up for the Turkish cause.
The following online and offline resources are a good source of information to vindicate the active role played by people of the Indian subcontinent in supporting a great Eastern nation in their fight against Western imperialism. To add context, I have also included links to material on the History of the Ottomans, History of Islam in India, British rule in India, and the like.
Please see the section on Urdu Resources for content available in the Urdu language. I plan to add a section listing resource material in Turkish, once I learn the langauage myself.
- Mirat ul Memalik (“The Mirror of Countries”) is a historical book written in 1557 by Ottoman admiral Seydi Ali Reis about his travels in South Asia, Central Asia, and the Middle East. The English translation is available here
People’s Mission to the Ottoman Empire, M.A. Ansari and the Indian Medical Mission
- The Khilafat Movement In India -1919-1924 By A. C. Niemeijer, Hague
- Silk Letter Movement (Reshmi Rumal Tehreek)
- Khilafat Movement in Malabar
- Khilafat Movement in Tamil Nadu
- Role of Memon Community during the Caliphate Movement
- A Short biography of Abdullah Haroon, Member of the Central Khilafat Committee
- A short biography of Khilafatwale Osman Sait of Bangalore
- Inside India, Outside of Kemalism: Analysis of Halide Edib’s Writings on Anti-Colonialism
- Muslims of British India and the Kemalist Reform in Turkey, Iqbal, Jinnah and Atatürk:
- What happened at Gallipoli
- Have We Forgotten Shibli
- The Victory Prayer of Ottoman Army at Gallipoli
- Turkey In The First World War
- Ottoman Dynasty Foundation Facebook Page
- Pierre Loti, French Novelist who Loved Ottomans
- A full-length feature film in Malayalam on the ‘Mapillah (Moplah) Uprising’ in support of the Caliphate in Turkey
- Modern Turkish Historian discusses Turkey’s ties with subcontinent’s Muslims
- Al-Nanawtawi’s Islamic Political Ideology: Paradigms from Rudad, Sawanh Qasimi and other Selected Writings
- Tipu Sultan’s Relations with the Ottoman Empire
- A healing touch: How a team of Indian Muslims made history
- When Pashtun Soldiers refused to fight against Ottomans
- The Memorandum of Indian Muslims in Britain to the British PM on the Ottomans
- Remembering the Ottoman Empire’s Forgotten Indian Allies
- An Enquiry into the Structure of Pan-Islamism in India : The Phase of the Italo-Turkish and Balkan Wars, 1911-1913
- A clip from PayeThat, a popular TV Serial, showing Abdul Hamid II receiving a chest of jewelry and cash sent by Indian Muslims
- Scholars Recall Shibli’s Role during a Critical Period
- Video of Talk by Maulana Arshad Madani in Turkey about Maulana Al Nanawtawi
- The Indian Muslims Red Crescent Society’s Aid to the Ottoman State During the Balkan War in 1912 by Zuhal OZAYDIN of the Istanbul University Cerrapasa Medical School, Department of Deontology and History of Medicine, Turkey published in the Turkish Red Crescent journal
- Interview with Burak Akçapar, former Turkish ambassador to India, author of the book ‘People’s Mission to the Ottoman Empire’.
- The Moplah Rebellion Reconsidered: Islamic Insurrection in Southern India, 1921-1922
- Kerala BJP-RSS “distorting” history, Muslim family which helped Moplah rebels also “funded” India’s freedom struggle
- A Mosque, A Mandir and Me: Malegaon and the the Story of Hindu-Muslim Unity. How the Right-Wing distorted history.
- Revisiting Khilafat House in Mumbai
- The Image of ‘Turkey and Turkish Democracy in
Iqbal’s Thought ….
- The Alleged Armenian Massacres of 1915-16
- The Reaction of Indian People to the Abolition of Khilafat in Turkey
- Entrance of Turkey into WWI
- Gallipoli: a Turkish view